How to get and succeed at a flexible work arrangement.

Jun 14, 2021

How to Switch to a Flexible Work Arrangement

By MakeMyMove Staff

If you want more control over your current work arrangement, look no further! Below, we explain what a flexible work arrangement is and how it can enable your dream career.


We also dive into benefits for companies allowing flexible work and share some tips for making sure your flexible work arrangement is a success!


What is a Flexible Work Arrangement?


A flexible work arrangement is where an employee is given greater flexibility on how they fulfill the duties of their position. This might mean an employee has greater input on where they work (at home vs. in the office) and when they work (starting earlier or later in the day).


Because of the pandemic, many job positions transitioned to fully remote work or flexible work options that weren’t available pre-pandemic. Based on popular demand, we think they’re here to stay.


A FlexJobs survey from December of 2020 shows that 65% of participants want to be full-time remote employees post-pandemic, and 31% want a hybrid remote work environment, totalling 96% of the participants desired some form of remote work.


How Flexible Work Can Enable Your Dream Career


Flexible work arrangements have been proven to improve job satisfaction.


According to an article by CNBC, “Remote employees are more likely to report being satisfied with their jobs than office-based workers (57% vs. 50%).” (Flexjobs.com).


Not only that, but “employees without access to flexible work are nearly two times more likely to have poor or very poor mental health.” (Flexjobs.com)


When you’re more satisfied with your work, including working when you want and where you want, it can enable you to focus on the aspects of your career and life that you WANT to focus on.


You might find you are able to have better lifestyle balance by creating a schedule that works with your life, instead of scheduling your life around your work. You might also find that for the first time you’re able to work remotely and choose to move to a dream location.


Benefits of Flexible Work Arrangements for Companies


Are you trying to make the case for a flexible work arrangement to your company? These statistics might help.


According to research from globalworkplaceanalytics.com showed that “businesses lose $600 billion a year to workplace distractions, and remote workers are 35% to 40% more productive than their in-office counterparts.”


And, a study from Flexjobs, 81% of responders said “they would be more loyal to their employer if they had flexible work options.”


In addition, flexible work arrangements can help employees operate more efficiently by working during hours they feel most productive.


ZD Net talks about how optimal work days may not be the traditional 9-5: “The optimal workday and workweek for all parties may not be what it was. For example, the data from the survey reveal that the busiest time of the workday is from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m...Employees start their days earlier on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and stop working later, as compared to Mondays and Fridays.”


Tips for Switching to a Flexible Work Arrangement


If you hope to switch to a flexible work arrangement (or you’re already in one) these tips from remote workers may help you make the most of it!


We interviewed several individuals who have recently made the decision to work remote from a place they love, and here is what they suggest:


Ask Early — Don’t be afraid of asking your employer for a flexible arrangement. If this is what you want, bite the bullet, and get it out of the way early.


Managing the Relationship After You’ve Made a Move — If you’re suddenly in a different state, consider how the dynamic of your relationships will change. If you’re in a new time zone, let your company know when you’re working and clearly communicate your hours.


Get Honest Feedback from Your Co-Workers/Direct Reports — Get direct, honest feedback from your co-workers on how your flexible work arrangement has impacted your work. Are you still performing as well as you were before? Better? Prioritize making clear communication part of your relationships so you can keep working how you want to.


Find a Company that Will Support You Working Fully Remote


Many companies are transitioning, or have already transitioned to remote-first work environments or purposefully provide ample remote work opportunities. We have a blog specifically dedicated to help you find the perfect fit for your dream remote position!



Find a Place that Will Pay You to Move There

Whether your organization supports you working remotely now or you are searching for a fully remote position, there are places that will pay you to move there. Check them out here.

Sign up to get notified when new offers become available.